Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sustainance!


This was the first year that we planted melons. I didn't think the growing season would be long enough but certainly it was hot enough and long enough! We had about 20 of these cantalopes growing when all of a sudden all the vines died. We didn't think they finished the process, but I decided to pick one, let it ripen for a day or so and then cut it. I couldn't wait any longer and cut into it. I gasped and Tim came running assuming I cut my hand on a knife. (because that is my response when I cut myself) I couldn't even speak but I just held it out and started laughing. It was GORGEOUS and delicious also. We totally enjoy the garden. Every night, I go out and pick vegetables for dinner. This week, we have already had spaghetti sauce made from tomatoes from the garden, beets, broccoli, and tonight, we had stuffed peppers from the beautiful peppers that came from the garden. It doesn't cost much to plant, just time and energy. We have also been eating potatoes this week that we planted. We figured we have enough potatoes to equal six 10lb bags. And we're not even done yet. God is good to us!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Ok, the actual number of cantelopes is 36. I brought one to school cut up so I could show my friends and they all said... Nice melons.... HMMMMMM....Nice friends!

Tracy said...

Too bad you can't freeze them ... they do look lovely! I told Dean I want a garden for my birthday this year. Hopefully it will be as easy as you say!

Jennifer McGregor said...

That is so perfectly symmetrical, that is crazy! Very pretty. Yup, nice melons:) hahahaha... also, I love that your family "knows" what your response is when you cut yourself with a knife. Happen often, Laurie??!?!?! hahahaha. ok, that's not so funny.