Sunday, July 13, 2008

Arches National Park


Well after the long ride yesterday and the afternoon and evening in the ER, we arrived in Moab at 11 p.m. and boy were we tired. We ate at a cute diner this a.m. and then headed to Arches National Park (about 6 miles away). We drove through the most amazing rock formations in the desert. I believe the temperature then was at least 95 degrees and it wasn't even noon. So you'll understand when I tell you I wasn't going to hike up 1 1/2 mile in the sweltering heat in the desert to see the delicate arch... I thought about it and then got my sanity back. I was able to see the arch from a distance, however.

Unfortunately, most of the arches required hiking in for a distance to see them... and quite frankly, I didn't see the point. But someday, if it is cooler, and I am in Utah, in the desolate place of Moab, and I see the point, I will go see the arches because looking at something other than the terrain I am used to or the mountains we just saw is beautiful in its own way. The colors on the stones were very interesting. And there was some green in the desert which really interested me.

We were going to see Canyonlands but because Tim's arm began to look worse despite the antibiotics he was on, we chose to drive to our next location so he could check back in to the ER for another assessment. We drove to Colorado and was quite fascinated to see that Western Colorado had many of the same deserty, colorful cliffs AND green fertile valleys. We checked into our condo that we are staying at in Glenwood Springs. Our condo is part of a ski resort that is very quiet right now. It is also 10 miles in the middle of no where but very nice and beautiful here. We then spent 5 hours in the ER. This doctor thinks that he has a MRSA infection. We've already weighed the options of going home early, and perhaps even driving home. But Tim was able to get 2 IV antibiotics and came home with 2 more (double strength) to take orally. He will see the doctor again tommorrow night if needed. He assures me that we don't have to cut our trip short. The hospital was much more pleasant and professional than we experienced yesterday. We did enjoy the park this morning so our day was not all bad. Here is one more picture of what we saw.

No comments: