Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fountain Paint Pots

We went to Yellowstone today to do some fishing and stopped by the Fountain Paint Pots above Old Faithful. The pots are actually geysers. I didn't realize this but Yellowstone has over 300 geysers. We walked along this boardwalk (because the ground was unstable with the heated areas) and looked at small geysers that were all different colors. They are different colors because they are different temperatures and different bacteria thrives in the different temperatures and makes the water different colors. The one I liked best was the ceylon colored one. Some of them were boiling, and some were spewing off.
They all smelled like sulfer. There were others that were pink colored, leather colored, and green. There was also a white mud one that was boiling. Its interesting to think about the volcanic activity that is present in a good portion of the park.

All of these geysers were letting off steam and water that emptied into the river that ran beside it. The river was called the firehole and was the one that we fished in to day. The water was about 75 degrees. We could see the trout jumping all around us. Trout normally like cold water so I was suprised. I got to use my fly rod today without success I might add. Tim took a picture of me in the river. I will say that I did get a nice cutt-throat trout yesterday in the Snake River.


1 comment:

a tom said...

Hi Lauri - I don't think I would ever leave if I went to Yellowstone. It is just beautiful. What a great place to be able to take the children.....and yes for the adults too!
Love Adela