Saturday, November 1, 2008

Funny Amanda Story

People love it when I tell them I have a funny Amanda story because it is usually good for a laugh. Amanda has no inhibitions and will say exactly what is on her mind. Many times, I laugh at her because it is something I would say if I had no inhibitions... she truly is a mini-me in so many ways. One of the ways is her love of politics and social justice. I truly have no idea how she knows things because I don't let her watch the news, but she has very definite opinions, especially on Obama and McCain. It's not something we talk about much, but she knows.
In her government class at school, her teacher is a democrat and talks about Obama alot apparently. She comes home and tells me that she tells the class and her teacher frequently that Obama is a bad man!
Today was no exception to her interest in politics. We went to Mary Ann's to eat breakfast this morning. I was settling the bill and turned around and there was Governor Lynch. Governor Lynch is a democrat and was campaigning on this last weekend before the elections with another democrat running for state senate. After I introduced myself and Amanda to the governor, she spoke out very loudly..."Hey, where is Sarah Palin?" He looked at her and told her that his staff might know where she is.... After I picked my chin up off the floor, I explained to him that Amanda has special needs and is actually gets services from one of the 10 regions that dispenses state funds to people like her. I also told her that we are thankful she is alive today. He asked a few questions about her school and about her age. After I told Amanda that we needed to let him move on to talk to others, she asked, "When can I come and spend time with you?" I did let the governor know that she was a little miffed that she could not meet the president and she was upset about the sharp shooters on the White House. And then we moved on...
I started laughing before I got out the door. I really got a kick from the look that was on his face when she asked the question. He was a very gracious man.

No comments: